Chapter III: Merrill Beal

“…we are fighting for our country, its honor and its preservation,” (Rodgers p. 133)

At some point during Merrill’s transit from California to New York, he was informed that he had been promoted to corporal.  His CMSR indicated that he was promoted to Corporal, per General Order No 18.  on  April 1, 1863. 1. (Beal CMSR)  Merrill most likely was informed of his promotion during their layover in New York.   Merrill’s responsibilities would now include supervising a squad of twelve men as well as the other duties of a corporal.  In modern terms, Merrill’s learning curve, which was steep to begin with, became a rapid vertical ascent.    

Kautz' Customs of Service  for Non Commissioned Officers and Soldiers explains in detail the duties of the soldier and the non-commissioned officer.   Besides learning all the duties of a private soldier Merrill also had to learn the duties of the corporal.  Kautz opens the section on the Duties of a Corporal with the following statement “The corporal is usually selected from the most intelligent privates, who have been longest in the service, and who are noted for their military appearance and attention to duty.”  2. (Kautz  1864)  In a war time, armies are made up of volunteers, the longest servicing  aspect, obviously, would not be a factor in his promotion. 

Merrill not only had to learn the duties of a corporal; he also had to learn the duties of a corporal in a cavalry regiment.  As a corporal, he was expected to help train the privates in learning their duties and responsibilities by doing everything a private was required to do - but doing it perfectly.   

The steamer Plymouth Rock carried the California Battalion to Stonington Connecticut.  The trip took 9 hours.  At Stonington, the battalion was off loaded and transferred to a train which would take them to Camp Meigs located in Readville, Massachusetts.  George Buhrer recalled the atmosphere of the trip as being “sultry” and “the weather rainy and disagreeable.  3 (Buhrer Ap 16, 1863) 

The battalion arrived at Camp Meigs at eleven o’clock in the morning April 16th.  Merrill had been away from New England for almost three years so his memory of a New England spring was still fresh in his mind.  And the New England weather did not disappoint him.   Private Buhrer noted in his diary that the weather was “disagreeable; a fine penetrating rain.”  In April, this is the type of New England weather which causes the sky to have a gray murky overcast.  This in turn makes the air raw and damp.  The penetrating rain gets into everything clothes, skin, equipment,  inadequately heated quarters become damp and chilled.   It is a completely miserable feeling.  

There were five cavalry barracks at Camp Meigs.  They “were one story buildings. They would shed rain, but the wind made itself at home inside the structure… The bunks were double-decker arranged for  two soldiers in each berth.”  4. (Allen  1893)  The barracks were cold and uncomfortable for the men from California who were used to a more temperate climate.  Three of these barracks were assigned to Colonel Lowell and the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry.   This was Merrill’s home for the next month.   

One of the first things Merrill  probably did was go to the sutler’s  store and purchase copies of Kautz,’ Customs of the Service and George B. McClellan’s; Regulation and Instruction for the Field Service of the U.S. Cavalry in Time of War. Both books no doubt became his constant companion over the next few months.    

The training began immediately.   Over the next three days, Merrill and the battalion would do foot drills while each company received its equipment.  This would consist of the accoutrements of a cavalry trooper.  The Cavalry trooper during the Civil War was outfitted with the following equipment:

Carbine, carbine sling and swivel,  cartridge box,… cap pouch,...wiper … to keep your carbine clean,… screw-driver,… revolver,… holster and pistol cartridge box,… smaller straps and waist belt,.. Saber and scabbard,.  P. 40 saber knots. Horse furniture,  1 bridle, 1water bridle, 1 halter, 1 saddle, 1 saddle bag,   1 saddle blanket, 1 surcingle, 1 pair of spurs, 1 curry-comb, 1 horse brush, 1 picket pin, and 1 lariat, 1 link and 1 nose bag.”   5 (Allen 1893)  Unlike the common infantry man who only had to look after himself after a days march, the cavalry trooper  had to make sure his mount was cared for before he could even think about himself  thus the reason for the extra equipment . (6  Allen  1893 )  

The record is not clear whether Merrill received his equipment before or after he received his 7 day furlough.  What is clear is the morning report for April 19th states “Corp. Beal absent with leave.”  Then on April 25, 1863 the Morning reports states: “Corp Beal returned from furlough.”  So where did Merrill go for seven days?  The most likely place would be home to Natick, Massachusetts.  7 (Beal, Company M daily Reports)
Follow Central from the left of the Town square. Mrs J. Beal then E. Beal are on the right and side.   

In the 1860’s Natick, Massachusetts was transitioning from an agricultural community to a manufacturing community.  In the 1850s, the Beal family moved from Lyme,  New Hampshire to Natick Massachusetts.   Natick was becoming a major supplier of brogans; a cheap working man’s pair of shoes.  All of the brothers, except the youngest, William, listed their occupation as shoemaker on the 1850 census.  By 1860, the Beals had settled into Natick and would remain there for over 100 years.  

Camp Meigs was approximately 16 miles from Natick by train so the probability of Merrill going home to see his family is almost 99.999 percent; without a letter or newspaper article definitively stating he was home for a visit that is as close to placing him there on furlough as can be assumed.  

 Merrill’s homecoming would have been bitter sweet.  By April of 1863 his older brother Eleazer  C. Beal was serving in the 22nd Massachusetts Voluntary Infantry Regiment .  His little brother William Beal was serving with the 39th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment, his cousin Selah B.  Alden was serving in the  13th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry regiment and his niece Delia Beal Gilson’s husband  Charles E. Gilson, had gone home to New York to enlist in the 123rd New York Volunteer Infantry regiment.  Eleazer  answered  Lincoln’s call for 75,000 volunteers in the summer of ‘61. William, Selah, and Charles answered Lincoln’s call for 300,000 volunteers in the summer of 1862. 8 (Beal, E; Beal, W;  Alden, A; Gilson, C  CMSRs)  

They left behind their wives and children.  There were only four brothers left at home: Cyrus H., James M., George W. and Jessie N. Beal all of them married.  Jesse was still a newlywed having been married in February of 1861.  The reunion was bitter sweet because after the war only four of these nine men would be alive.

 Did Merrill’s brothers even know he was in the Army?  Was this going to be a surprise for them?   What was Merrill feeling as he walked down Central Ave in Natick to one of his brothers houses?  A report from the Evening Boston Transcript wrote, “Quite a number of our boys have received furloughs… I have already witnessed scenes that would bring tears from stones.” Was this to be that type of reunion?        9  (Rogers et al 2001)

The closest house would have been either George or Eleazer’s  as they lived right next to each other. However, Merrill most likely went to George’s house first since Eleazer was in the service.  James’ and Jesse’s houses were one block away on Forest Street. Calvin’s was even further away.   It just makes sense that he would go to George’s home first.  

Merrill would have walked up the long drive way at the end of which was a large barn/ carriage house.   To his left was the large 3 story mansard roof home.   Walking up the three steps of the back porch, his cavalry boots echoing with each step, he would have gone to the back screen door and knocked.  Only strangers and peddlers went to the front door, relatives, friends and neighbors always went to the kitchen door.  *

Since it was a Sunday, who answered the door was it Julia?  Was she in the kitchen preparing Sunday dinner?  Was Merrill smiling?  Did Julia drop the pot of whatever she might have been holding when she saw her brother – in- law standing  on her back porch in his gold braided cavalry uniform?  Or did George answer the door?  If he did, I wonder what his reaction was?  Did they hug? Did they shake hands?  Or was everybody at Church.  If so,  did Merrill let himself in and help himself to some decent food.   

( these were the days when you didn’t have to lock doors in a small town.)  Was he sitting at the kitchen table drinking a cup of coffee waiting for everyone to return from church?   The numerous  ways his homecoming could have played out are endless.  However, since it was a Sunday, a day of rest, the  Beal families and the Alden families  were at home after church services.  So it is likely to have been an impromptu celebration. 

The conversation would have revolved around where Eleazar, William, Charlie and Selah were stationed.  Questions about what it was like in San Francisco.  What was it like crossing the continent in a wagon train? What did those exotic places in Mexico and Central America look like?  The stories would have gone on long into the night.     

The next 7 days would have gone by in the blink of an eye.   Did he have time to play with his nieces and nephews.  Was he able to hold, my great- great grandfather,  3 month old Charlie Gilson (later changed to Beal see Charles  Gilson’s story ) in his  arms?  Questions that we will never have  answers to because the stories were never re-told to succeeding generations.  Stories which are not in the official records.  Stories we can only imagine. 

April 25 “Corp Beal ret. From Furlough” 10 (Company M Daily Reports)              



  1. Beal, Merrill C.  Compiled Military Service Record National Archives and Record Administration
  2. Kautz , August . Customs of Service for Non- Commissioned Officers and Soldiers. Philadelphia : J.B. Lippincott & Co. , 1864.
  3. Buhrer, George. " The Daily Journal of George N Buhrer." The Second Mass and Its Fighting Californians. Michael Sorenson Collection . Web. 10 Nov 2012. <>.
  4. Allen , Stanton . Down in Dixie Life in a Cavalry Regiment in The War: From The Wilderness to Appomattox . Boston : D. Lothrop Comapny , 1893. (accessed December 3, 2012).
  5. Allen; p. 39-40
  6. Allen; p. 39-40
  7. Beal, M.  CMSR
  8. National Archives and Records Administration Compiled Military Service Records
  9. Unknown. Evening Bulletin, San Francisco, Tuesday, June 2, 1863 as told in Rogers , Larry  and Rogers, Keith. Their Horses Climbed Trees: A Chronicle of the California 100 and Battalion in the Civil War, From San Francisco to Appomattox . Atglen : Schiffer Publishing Ltd., 2001. 125. Print
  10. National Archives and Records Administration; Company M 2nd Mass Cavalry Daily Report book; April 1863
*The Home of George and Julia Beal is still standing today.  By an amazing twist of fate the home became the property of my sisters’ Godparents, Aunt Ann and Uncle Joe and currently remains within their family.  Neither side of the families, parents or godparents, knew of the history of the home. I have been in the house many times.







No comments:

Post a Comment